Twitter: To Tweet or Not to Tweet? Pros & Cons, Free Tools + Resources
Unlike Facebook where you just follow friends and family you already know Twitter gets used to follow mostly strangers you are interested in.
So follow me to get the latest insights on blogging, social media and search! Indeed I’ve been using Twitter for over seven years now and it is a powerful link sharing plus social networking tool for me. It wasn’t that way from the start. It took me some time to get it or even to understand why I need Twitter and what the pitfalls are.
For those still undecided here are the pros, cons and Twitter tools to make the experience of tweeting much more convenient as well as productive.
Indeed Twitter is a lot like Facebook although it’s a different concept. Both sites do not necessarily result in significant direct traffic or other benefits you can measure easily unless you are very popular.
I wanted to share my thoughts on Twitter and help you decide whether it makes sense or not so I collected Twitter related tools and resources to answer the question: To tweet or not to tweet?
Also once you decided you want to use it, you will find plenty of ideas how to use it below:
Reasons to use Twitter
- Twitter Reaches Deal to Show Tweets in Google Search Results
- Twitter Engagement-per-Post Has Grown by 85% Year-over-Year
- How To Make $500,000 A Year On Twitter
- Twitter Will Now Let You Shoot & Upload Video
- Twitter Sues the Government for Violating Its First Amendment Rights
- 17 Ways You Can Use Twitter: A Guide by Dosh Dosh
- How We Use Twitter for Journalism
- Think Twitter Sucks? You’re Wrong, Here’s Why.
- Held by Egyptian Authorities? Time to ‘Tweet’
- How I Use Twitter for Headline Examples
Reasons not to use Twitter
- The Unbearable Lightness of Tweeting
- Is Twitter About to Make a Huge Mistake?
- Forrester Says Marketers Are Wasting Resources on Facebook, Twitter
- Alwaleed bin Talal: from Saudi prince to king of Twitter?
- Twitter Is Unethical For Business Use
- Alt Text: Twitter Away Your Life With Social Networking
- Twitter is a Complete Waste of Time!
- Why I Stopped Using Twitter
- Twittering Your Way to Social Media Unproductivity
- Buzz Kill by Leo Laporte
These are the the most common or best Twitter clients. I’ve used most of them all myself and still use two of them in one case (TweetDeck) daily. The first three clients are ideal for business usage and marketing campaigns.
- Tweetdeck: The Twitter owned web based Twitter client for pros
- Hootsuite: Social Media dashboard for teams using Twitter
- Tweetium premium app for both Windows 8 Desktop and Phone
- Echofon: Twitter client for Android and various Apple devices
- Twitter’s own mobile apps for Android and iPhone
Free Twitter scanners (Twitter search etc.)
- Topsy, the best third party Twitter search engine
- The Tweeted Times: A newspaper-like Twitter interface that collects links from your Twitter friends – Take a look at mine
- Prismatic – Like Tweeted Times but even better at suggesting links based on your Twitter activity
- ManageFlitter – An advanced Twitter account management tool, allows you to unfollow selfish people etc.
- TweetReach shows your real impact on Twitter by displaying the number of impressions of your tweets and who contributed them
Twitter marketing how tos, tutorials and resources
- Grow Your Business | Twitter for Business
- The 58 SEO Authorities on Twitter You Need to Follow
- How to Start a Twitter Account for Your Business
- How To Use Twitter: A Beginners Guide
- 20 Essential Twitter Rules You’ve Probably Never Heard
- The Golden Rule of Twitter Marketing
- Why You Clicked on That Tweet: The Psychology of Twitter Engagement
- How To Grow Your Personal Brand On Twitter
- How to Retweet the Right Way (With a Comment) on Twitter
- 11 Simple Ways to Be an Awesome Twitter Superstar
- How to Increase The Click-Through Rate On Your Tweets
- 13 Twitter Following Growth Hacks for Small Businesses
Now of course the main reason why I am using Twitter is to inform you of my eating habits! No, just kidding, rather to indoctrinate you with my SEO 2.0 propaganda. It does only make sense when I have enough people to preach to. So follow me now if you are really serious about the SEO 2.0 cult!
- How do you use Twitter?
- Do you use a client?
- If yes, which one?
- What are you using Twitter for?
- What do you tweet about actually?
- What are you doing?
- What is your user name?
If it makes sense I’ll follow, @reply and retweet you! Did I miss some valuable links? Add them in the comments, this list will be updated in future. Want more? Try 101 tweets on how to use Twitter.
Originally published: April 30th, 2008. V2 published on September 28th, 2010: 20 links have been replaced! V3 published and last updated: June 3rd, 2015: Added 25+ new links, removed old ones. Replaced images.
Creative Commons images:
* (CC BY 2.0) Red-billed Leiothrix by Steve Wilson
** (CC BY-ND 2.0)
*** (CC BY-ND 2.0) Motmot by Tambako The Jaguar