Twitter Dilemma: To Tweet or Not to Tweet? Pros, Cons, 50+ Links & Tools
Unlike Facebook where you just follow friends and family you already know Twitter gets used to follow mostly strangers you are interested in.
So follow me to get the latest insights on blogging, social media and search! Indeed I’ve been using Twitter for over seven years now and it is a powerful link sharing plus social networking tool for me. It wasn’t that way from the start. It took me some time to get it or even to understand why I need Twitter and what the pitfalls are.
For those still undecided here are the pros, cons and Twitter tools to make the experience of tweeting much more convenient as well as productive.
Indeed Twitter is a lot like Facebook although it’s a different concept. Both sites do not necessarily result in significant direct traffic or other benefits you can measure easily unless you are very popular.
I wanted to share my thoughts on Twitter and help you decide whether it makes sense or not so I collected 50+ Twitter related links to answer the question: To tweet or not to tweet?
Also once you decided you want to use it, you will find plenty of ideas how to use it below:
Balanced Twitter pros and cons articles
- What is Microblogging or Tumblelogging? Pros and Cons « Lorelle on WordPress
- Influential Marketing Blog: 6 Reasons Twitter Rocks and Sucks Simultaneously At SXSW
- mathewingram.com/work | Twitter: Waste of time or social tool?
- Beth’s Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media: Twitter for Nonprofits: Waste of Time or Potentially Useful?
- Twitter: I Twink I Twove You | Brent Csutoras
Reasons to use Twitter
- 17 Ways You Can Use Twitter: A Guide by Dosh Dosh
- How To Make A Small Fortune With Twitter | Scoreboard Media Group
- How We Use Twitter for Journalism – ReadWriteWeb
- Hate Twitter ? Become A Media Mogul With It | BloodhoundBlog
- Think Twitter Sucks? You’re Wrong, Here’s Why.
- Held by Egyptian Authorities? Time to ‘Tweet’ – washingtonpost.com
- How I Use Twitter for Headline Examples | Cornwallseo.com
Reasons not to use Twitter
- Twitter ’spam’ threat leads to paranoia « What Matters Online
- Twitter Is Unethical For Business Use | Andy Beard – Niche Marketing
- Alt Text: Twitter Away Your Life With Social Networking
- Twitter is a Complete Waste of Time! – Problogger
- Why I Stopped Using Twitter – Publishing 2.0
- Twittering Your Way to Social Media Unproductivity | Cape Cod SEO
- Buzz Kill by Leo Laporte
- The 12 Major Problems with Twitter at theOtherblog
These are the the most common or best Twitter clients. I’ve used most of them all myself and still use two of them in one case (TweetDeck) daily. The first three clients are ideal for business usage and marketing campaigns.
- Tweetdeck: The Twitter owned web based Twitter client for pros
- Hootsuite: Social Media dashboard for teams using Twitter
- Tweetium premium app for both Windows 8 Desktop and Phone
- Echofon: Twitter client for Android and various Apple devices
- Twitter’s own mobile apps for Android and iPhone
Twitter scanners (Twitter search etc.)
- Topsy, the best third party Twitter search engine
- The Tweeted Times: A newspaper-like Twitter interface that collects links from your Twitter friends – Take a look at mine
- Doesfollow – A simple check tool to find out whether a particular user follows you
- Refollow is an advanced but easy to use Twitter follower management tool
- TweetReach shows your real impact on Twitter by displaying the number of impressions of your tweets and who contributed them
Twitter marketing how tos, tutorials and resources
- Twitter Wrote This Column For Me
- 7 Ways Marketers Can Use Twitter | Marketing Profs Daily Fix Blog
- Twitter Secrets Revealed | Portent Interactive, Seattle, WA
- how to use twitter for marketing
- How-To: Using Twitter to Build Brand Integrity – MarketingVOX
- Twitter Marketing Guide – Tips on using Twitter from the Twitterati | Online Marketing Blog
- 200+ Internet Marketing Gurus on Twitter
- The Golden Rule of Twitter Marketing
- Twitter Marketing Do’s and Don’ts: Interview With Ma.gnolia – Get Elastic Ecommerce Blog
- 26 Reasons Why I Love Twitter | Social Desire
- Twitter Tweet Sheet — JasonTheodor.com
Now of course the main reason why I am using Twitter is to inform you of my eating habits! No, just kidding, rather to indoctrinate you with my SEO 2.0 propaganda. It does only make sense when I have enough people to preach to. So follow me now if you are really serious about the SEO 2.0 cult!
- How do you use Twitter?
- Do you use a client?
- If yes, which one?
- What are you using Twitter for?
- What do you tweet about actually?
- What are you doing?
- What is your user name?
If it makes sense I’ll follow, @reply and retweet you! Did I miss some valuable links? Add them in the comments, this list will be updated in future. Want more? Try 101 tweets on how to use Twitter.
Originally published: April 30th, 2008. V2 published on September 28th, 2010: 20 of the 50+ links have been replaced! Last updated February 19th, 2015.
Create Commons images:
* The Birds by Riccardo Cuppini
*** Polka – the humming bird by Cris Pierry
**** I look up to the little bird by monkeyc.net
***** Red wing black bird 3723 by Casch52
****** Bejia flor / Humming bird by Marcio Cabral de Moura