The Best Flash SEO Tutorials
Flash SEO is either a no-no, experts tend to dismiss SEO for Flash altogether in this case, a matter of creating a text version in HTML/CSS or a rather complex endeavor.
You have basically 4 options:
- Not optimizing Flash at all or not creating a Flash site in the first place
- Creating a parallel version in HTML/CSS that looks less “flashy”
- Undergoing the more complex measures to optimize an all Flash site
- Combining Flash and HTML elements where both fit in best
The fourth option is the best one from the start. It can not be applied in every case though. #1 is not really an option, it means rather abandoning the Flash project and creating another one.
I want to focus on #3 (full Flash sites) here as there are still some cases where Flash rocks, even in case the site is built completely in Adobe Flash.
Whether it’s a photographer’s site made in Flash, a movie site or a car site, you can still do some search engine optimization for it.
Flash SEO is seldom undertaken but there are nonetheless tested techniques of practicing it. I collected here the best tutorials that explain search engine optimization for Flash. They have been written and published between 2006 and 2010:
- A modern approach to Flash SEO by deconcept
- 2009 Google Flash SEO « beu blog
- How to SEO Flash in 2010 « Get Elastic Ecommerce Blog
- Making Flash websites search engine friendly by Roy Tanck
- How to SEO Flash by Jonathan Hochman
- Merging Flash with SEO | SEO.com
- How do Flash Sites Rank Well? by Aaron Wall
In case you do not want to read those first I give you following simple 3 step advice for doing SEO with Flash sites:
- Embed your Flash in PHP and create a distinct URL for every crucial keyframe of the movie, in short: mimic a page
- Use XML for all your content and output it once in your Flash movie and once in an HTML version
- Create a non-Flash menu or sitemap where you link all/important keyframe-URLs
Remember that when you or the client can afford Flash s/he also can afford SEO. Moreover s/he has less hassle with different browser and platform incompatibilities. Thus overall the cost is lower so the money can be spend on SEO.
Last updated: June 15th, 2015.