Top 10 Social Media Sites
It is hard to keep track of the trends in social media. Where do people socialize online today? Some empires crumble (like MySpace) while others grow to prominence seemingly out of nowhere. Thus I decided to provide a list of the most important sites based on sheer size.
Here’s a list of the 10 largest social media sites.
As most people just want to find out the most influential or popular social media sites based on the number of members and active usage I took the data from the Global Web Index survey:
- Facebook – Sharing with friends and family
- Youtube – Video sharing, commenting
- Twitter – Short message and link sharing
- Google+ – Sharing with strangers
- Instagram – Image community
- LinkedIn – Networking for business people
- Pinterest – Image sharing/bookmarking
- Tumblr – Media sharing and microblogging
- Badoo – Chatting, flirting
- MySpace – Social networking, music
Remember though that you can’t possibly participate at numerous of social media sites at the same time. Choose not more than 3 to 5 and focus on these. Indeed most people do it that way. According to GWI the average social media user is actively participating on “2.75” sites.
Personally I focus on
This list does not include popular apps like WhatsApp or SnapChat because they are only available on mobile. A good alternative is the secure messenger service Wickr. It’s available for all platforms.
Last updated: July 11th, 2015. I removed the links to the by now mostly outdated lists of social media sites.