The 10 Simplest Ways to Boost Your Social Media Credibility From the Start
As a very active social media user, some would probably say power user already, I notice the same mistakes over and over made by new arrivals on social media sites. On the other hand
it’s very easy to boost your social media credibility with very simple measures.
So I collected the 10 simplest ways to boost your social media credibility from the start and with little effort:
- Use a unique name or nick name which is truly a name! Do not use keywords as your name. Hello Realestate California, how are you? In case you are not in it for the quick Google traffic but for long term reputation building change your name in order not to appear to be a spammer.
- Use an avatar! On most social sites if you do not use one you will get ignored altogether. Use a picture of a person, not a just a logo or random item. It doesn’t even have to be you but it’s better to display your photo.
- Share your favorite sites and blog posts! Do not solely share your own postings! Especially in case you are new to a community do NOT submit your own website or postings as your first action. You’re dead on arrival this way.
- Introduce yourself. Say something about yourself on your profile. Do not just start out of nowhere. Let people relate.
- Do not share everything, share only the good stuff. Nobody will respect you on social media if you just share anything, even crap just to become a power user. Quality beats quantity.
- Add other community users with similar interests as your friends. Do not add only top users or dozens users at once.
- Socialize across different social media sites. Add your existing Facebook or Twitter friends at the new network you enter. Do not overdo (see #6!)
- Share in the morning or during daytime but not at night. Some social sites like Pinterest have largely US audiences so when you are in Asia or Europe do not share at night where nobody sees it.
- Share real life or stories that matter for the broad public not just “blogging, SEO or make money online” only.
- Be yourself. Behave like a human being not like a bot or salesperson. Do not sell people anything, give them something for free.
Once you master these ways and it works for a while, you can start thinking about personal gain.
I do not advocate self-exploitation on social media sites. I’m all about give and take but without giving first you can’t take on social media, unless you are not in it for real social media credibility and reputation building.
So use these 10 ways of boosting it and when people start appreciating you will be able to take as well.
More on similar topics elsewhere:
- How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media
- Every Social Network is Different for News Consumption
- Why Use Yahoo! Answers
Last updated: June 5th, 2015.