Social Media Trends You Must Be Aware of
Social media is evolving, revolving and sometimes struggling. It seems there are trends which are there for a while now.
Some sites reflecting overall trends lose steam and die while others are born and/or accelerate.
Here is a number of them that are most important IMHO, social media trends you must be aware of:
- Twitter automation for business, journalism and blogging – no more real people
- Messengers kill social media sites. Who needs Facebook when they have Snapchat?
- Image Bookmarking, image only social sites like Pinterest and Instagram boom
- Website, blog and social media integration, inline sharing being the most obvious
- Consolidation: Google, Apple, Facebook acquire everything and kill most tool off
- Monetization, security and privacy disasters, startups sell your data!
- Viral marketing meets content creation, viral content is the new normal
- Online Reputation Management is main stream, everybody does that
- Location based services, where are you, where are your friends?
- Mobile social media, app only networks without a desktop equivalent abound
Of course I’m biased. I left out music social media which are booming too for example. Also I ignored video here but it’s booming for a decade now. It’s more than a trend.
What else is there to mention? Tell me. I want to see more than these social media trends you must be aware of below.
* (CC BY-ND 2.0) Creative Commons image by Remco Wighman
Last updated: May 24th, 2016. Removed 2 trends, updated others. Unlinked broken links. Replaced teaser image.