Introducing 10 Traits of Green SEOs
Image by Dhammza.
When one of my favorite green blogs was looking for a SEO expert recently I was seriously tempted to quit everything else and do Green SEO full time. It was one of the surprises of plunging in into the world of SEO 2.0:
Some of the most active people on social media are green marketers or rather simply put full time environmental activists using the Internet to fight for their causes.
So I’m not talking about organic SEO or something this time, no I’m referring to green SEO on behalf of mother earth and organizations that attempt to lessen the human impact on it.
While I know many SEOs who help the environment by working for alternative energy companies, embarking on charitable projects for non-profit organizations and the likes there is still another small but hyperactive group of people online who are everywhere on the Web and who have huge impact.
I won’t tell any names as labeling people “SEO” would probably harm their image due to most people mistaking SEO for spam. I want to analyze some aspects of these green hat SEOs that set them apart from the rest of the online marketing crowd. Introducing 10 traits of green SEOs:
- Green SEOs have a huge fan base on social sites, people who will eagerly vote them up just for having a common cause
- Green SEOs are hyperactive power users on social media
- Green SEOs get away with self-submission on social media
- Green SEOs do not call themselves SEOs, marketers or anything similar in many cases
- Green SEOs work like anybody else to make a living, they are not activists solely for activism’s sake (you can do that in your teens orearly twenties)
- Green SEOs are seldom technical in their optimization efforts
- Green SEOs concentrate on content creation and networking
- Green SEOs in most cases have only a few if not just one long term “client”
- Green SEOs blog very often (regularly)
- Green SEOs mean business, they do not just try to stop others from harming the environment they also offer solutions all the time
We can see several patterns here. People in green marketing are outside the SEO industry in the public perception while using the same methods and even supporting the same causes as “real” SEOs. I prefer green clients myself but they are perceived as activists while doing SEO.
It seems that SEO for good causes will be overlooked or not treated as such. People on social media love green topics, and doing SEO for the environment seems to be an accepted practice in contrast to SEO for business or even blogs.