Change has come to WhiteHouse.gov – When will it come to your Website?
Image: Brick Obama by ~emeph
Immediately after Barack Obama has been sworn in as the new president of the United States
the Whitehouse.gov website has been relaunched.
Some of the most important aspects of this change are:
- It has a blog
- It's valid "XHTML 1.0 Transitional"
- It's robots.txt file is one line long
- It has a Spanish version
- It focuses on public good, just read the notice on gifts below the contact form
Besides that we recognize some common sense best practices like
- Very content rich
- Clean URLs and directory structure "/agenda/civil_rights/"
- user and search engine optimized HTML titles like "civil rights"
Of course there are some drawbacks here too
- Some too small font sizes, especially in the menu at the bottom
- The homepage is more than 1 megabyte in size, mostly due to scripts and images
- No direct social media connection
- No 302 URL redirection of old documents, they result in a 404 not found error