12 Social Media Trends You Must Be Aware of
CC: Please use revolving door by Thomas Hawk.
Social media is evolving, revolving and sometimes struggling. It seems there are trends which are there for a while now.
Some sites reflecting overall trends lose steam and die while others are born and/or accelerate.
Here is a dozen of them that are most important IMHO, 12 social media trends you must be aware of:
- Twitter, Twitter and Twitter for business, journalism and blogging
- Meta social media sites, who needs Digg when there is a Twitter Digg-like interface ?
- Image Bookmarking, forget the image section, image only social sites boom
- Site, blog and WordPress integration, TweetSuite being the most advanced
- Consolidation: Inspite of booming microblogging Pownce and Jaiku died.
- Niche social media sites by the hundreds, for every niche there is a smaller one
- Social browsing 2.0, StumbleUpon is around since 2002. What's new?
- Monetization, security and privacy disasters, companies will sell your data!
- Viral marketing replaces one time link baiting, viral campaigns go on as long as they do
- Online Reputation Management is main stream, everybody does that
- Location based services, where are you, where are your friends?
- Mobile social media, Twitter on the iPhone is prehistoric by now it seems
Of course I'm biased. I left out music social media which are booming too for example. Also I ignored video here but it's similar to microblogging, I sense some consolidation (Google discontinues Google Video) and blog integration is a must by now.
What else is there to mention? Tell me. I want to see more than 12 social media trends you must be aware of below.